This project was delivered as a separable portion contract with the overall purpose of renewing a significant portion of the Logan City Council’s (LCC) water network to comply with current Australian Standards.
The first portion of the works was a fittings replacement program for pre-1980 iron fittings suffering from internal tuberculation, which impacted the hydraulic performance of the hydrants, tees and bends.
During the replacement of these fittings, condition assessments were completed on surrounding asbestos cement (AC) pipes. The results of these tests guided the second portion of the contract, which was the replacement of 15km AC pipes that were identified as having a high risk of failure.
- Community liaison and traffic management
- Service location and potholing
- Survey set out, development of as-constructed and GIS information
- Isolation and scouring of existing networks for live works
- 105 tee replacements under live works conditions
- Replace 14.7km of DN100-DN150 AC water main with PVC and DICL mains
- Bypassing water mains to maintain customer services during replacement
- Re-connection or all property services
- Removal and reinstatement of over 5.5km of 1.2m wide concrete footpath
Highlights, Innovations and Key Risks
- Asbestos removal works utilising Class B Asbestos Licence
- Works in medium density residential and commercial area
- Works on live roads