The Department of Transport and Main Roads M1/M3/Gateway Merge Project was a state funded transport infrastructure project that intersected the Brisbane and Logan City Councils. FB were engaged by the Principal Contractor, Lendlease Engineering to relocate the existing water and sewerage infrastructure to enable the construction of the new transport infrastructure.
Scope of Works – Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU)
- Temporary water main bypass OD180 PE100
- Water main culvert crossing DN150 DICL
- Relocation of 150m OD180 PE100 water main
- Above ground electromagnetic and water meter pipe manifold
Scope of Works – Logan City Council (LCC)
- Temporary sewerage bypassing and flow control
- Relocation of 390m DN225 DICL water main
- Water main bridge crossing DN225 DICL
- Relocation 550m DN150 – DN375 PVC gravity sewer main
- Sewer manholes 16no.
Highlights and Innovations
- Third party utility owners were managed by a collaborative approach between Lendlease and FB’s Engineering teams to ensure value for money solutions were delivered, while ensuring the technical standards of the individual stakeholders were maintained.
- The relocation of the LCC sewerage network required the isolation of trunk mains for significant periods of time. To avoid costly tankering operations, FB’s Engineering team developed sophisticated bypass systems that included temporary catchment wells and pipelines, utilising decommissioned drainage infrastructure to transport sewerage.
Key Risks & Challenges
- The removal of asbestos sewer infrastructure utilising FB’s specialist Class B licence to prepare and implement Asbestos Removal Management Plans on behalf of Lendlease.
- The installation of a 120m section of the DICL water main, as part of a new overpass bridge.